are underway for Books & Authors in
late August. Updates include:
- Complete design upgrade—provides a streamlined user interface aligned with upcoming July enhancements.
search experience—empowers improved search through
Search Assist technology and search limiters.
- Integrated G Suite for Education and Microsoft Office 365
to easily share, save, and download content including highlights and notes, bringing
this product in line with Gale’s other Literature products.
- Increased Accessibility— removes elements that created barriers to
accessibility and better enables site impaired users by adding alt-text to all
of the books covers and a revised color palette.
- Secure product access—HTTPS protocol is used to ensure that data between a
patron’s browser and Gale products is encrypted and the right to privacy for
library users is protected.
- Minor Name Change—Books & Authors
will now be referred to as Gale Books and
To improve Gale Books and Authors functionality, select features will be replaced:
- Named user accounts—will no longer
be supported, in addition to social media elements like customizable home page,
book club tools, book ratings, user book reviews, and My Reading Room within
with saved lists from My Reading Room should access and save to another
location, by August 22. If you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will manually assist libraries until November 1.
- In the future, users can save title
information via integrated G Suite for Education and Microsoft Office 365 tools
- A message will be posted within the product in early July to inform users, but we recommend you communicate to users to the best of your ability, whether that's in a newsletter or announcement to a book club. See suggested copy below.
- Who/What/Where/When Venn Diagram—users can still search by these criteria, but eliminating diagram increases accessibility to these search facets.
- Author and title browse—the inclusion of Search Assist and better Search Limiters at every stage eliminates the need for
author/title browse, providing a more streamlined, straight-forward experience.
Below is suggested messaging to share with your Gale Books and Authors users:
Save Your Books & Authors Reading Lists!
As of August 23, 2019,
the current version of Books & Authors will be going away to welcome
a new design and functionality upgrades to provide a better user experience and
maintain accessibility standards.
The "My Reading Room" feature is being discontinued and will be replaced with the ability to share,
save, and download content via integrated G Suite for Education and Microsoft
Office 365 tools. Books & Authors users will need to
download and store their saved lists in another location by August 22, 2019.
If you need assistance with this task, please contact email@example.com.