A complete list of Technical Documents documents
Gale electronic product usage reports provide an accurate count of how your Gale subscriptions are being used by patrons both inside your library and remotely via the Internet. Gale strives to meet all usage standard requirements as defined by COUNTER (Counting Online Usage of Networked Electronic Resources). Currently Gale is a compliant vendor under the COUNTER Code of Practice, Release 4. A complete list of COUNTER4 supported reports can be referenced at https://www.projectcounter.org/counter-user/gale-cengage/
Gale makes SUSHI usage reporting is availible for the many Gale resources that that support COUNTER usage reports.
Gale Standard Usage Reports
Gale electronic product usage reports provide an accurate count of how products are used by patrons. Gale Standard usage data is tracked using COUNTER standards and is displayed in Gale's standard format.
Standard reports include the following:
Gale - EBook Retrievals: Number of retrievals from individual EBook titles for a specific timeframe
Gale - Journal Retrievals: Number of retrievals from individual Journal titles for a specific timeframe
Gale - Usage by Database: Usage by database for a specified timeframe
Gale - Usage by Location, Date, and Time: Pinpoint specific time users are accessing resources
Gale - Usage by Session Time: Session count based on day and time
Gale - Usage Summary: All Gale Usage from a specific timeframe rolled up into one number for searches, sessions, retrievals and full text retrievals.
Location Details: Use this if you are an institution with more than one location and would like a breakdown of location usage.
The COUNTER Reports follow usage reporting standards and formatting developed by COUNTER (Counting Online Usage of NeTworked Electronic Resources).
Beginning in January 2014, Gale COUNTER 4 Report options will include:
Database Report 1
Total Searches, Result Clicks, and Record Views by Month and Database
Database Report 2
Access Denied by Month, Database, and Category
Journal Report 1
Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal
Book Report 2
Number of Successful Section Requests by Month, Title, and Category
Sign up for monthly
Allows you to specify report types, options, and allows you to enter email addresses that will receive monthly reports. Please see this short video for instructions on how to sign up for monthly usage reporting.
- Access Denied - An unsuccessful log-in to an electronic service due to
exceeding the simultaneous/concurrent user limit allowed by the license.
- Fulltext (FT) - Sum of only full text records examined, downloaded, or
otherwise supplied to user, to the extent these are recordable and
controlled by the Gale server rather than the browser. Separate reporting of full text usage by database began in June 2003.
- Record Views (Views) - A successful request for a database record that has
originated from a set of search results, from browsing the database or from a
click on another database record. Also see the COUNTER quick guide: result clicks and record views.
- Result Clicks (Clicks) - A click originating from a set of search results. Also see the COUNTER quick guide: result clicks and record views.
- Retrievals (Rtrvls) - Sum of all full text, abstract, and extended citation records examined, downloaded, or otherwise supplied to user, to the extent these are recordable and controlled by the Gale server rather than the browser.
- Searches (Srches) - A specific intellectual query submitted through a search form to the database.
- Sessions (Sessns) - Cycle of user activities that starts when a user
connects to a database and ends by connecting to another database or
leaving the service through a logout or timeout due to user inactivity
- Service - A branded group of online information products from one or more vendors that can be subscribed to/licensed and searched as a complete collection, or at a lower level.
- Turnaways (Trnwy) - A turnaway (rejected session) is defined as an unsuccessful log-in to an electronic service by exceeding the simultaneous user limit.
- Internal Usage/Remote Usage - Gale reports internal and remote access statistics separately on usage summary reports.
- How does authentication affect my usage statistics?
- When are reports sent out and how?
Once statistics are generated, they are compiled and sent to customers. This process may take several days. The reports are typically e-mailed by the 15th of each month.
- Why am I not seeing any usage?
The database could be linking out to a State, Consortia, or other link, causing the usage to be tracked on that account instead. Please check the URL being used to access the databases to ensure the location id at the end of the link matches the location id on the usage reports.
- Can multiple people at the library get reports?
Yes. To have multiple people added, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of email addresses. Or login to Gale Admin to sign up for reports and enter in multiple email addresses.
- How do federated search engines affect usage stats?
Gale counts usage regardless of the search method, i.e. Federated Search, PowerSearch, etc. Each search submitted through a federated search engine is counted as a session and a search on every Gale database included in the federated search set.
- How do I access Gale electronic product usage reports?
There are multiple ways to obtain usage reports. Listed below are some options:
- Log-in to Gale Admin, this allows you to view reports online, email reports and sign up for automatic monthly reports.
- Fill out the Online Usage Request Form: http://www.gale.cengage.com/crc/usage_form.htm
- E-mail email@example.com to request a report.
- Call Gale Technical Support at 1-800-877-4253 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-877-4253 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting Option 4, to request a report.
Third Party Databases Usage Reports & Retrieval Instructions
Reports for these databases are not included in the Gale Standard Report:
- Career Transitions
- Chilton Library
- Demographics NOW
To obtain usage reports for these databases, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.