Gale Platform Accessibility UpdateLast Updated: July 08, 2020
Gale Accessibility Policy
Gale is committed to making its products accessible to users of all abilities.
Gale is committed to making its products accessible to users of all abilities and strives to make products universally accessible and user-friendly in conformance with Section 508 standards of the Rehabilitation Act and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Through the efforts of dedicated Product, User Experience and Development teams, feedback from libraries and users, and the extension of accessibility testing to include both automated and manual testing, Gale has an ongoing commitment to make its products universally accessible and user-friendly.
If you have any feedback or inquiries, please contact [email protected] .
Gale Platform Accessibility Update
Gale has introduced experience and design enhancements across its portfolio of products on the main Gale platform including Gale OneFile, Gale In Context, Gale Literature, Gale Primary Sources and Gale eBooks. The enhancements unify the platform experience and improve the user experience. An overview, list of products impacted and timeline for this ongoing effort is available here: Gale Product Enhancements Overview.
The Gale platform accessibility improvements, features and benefits include:
- Navigational Consistency: Consistent structural elements such as logical headings,landmarks and labels facilitate navigation with keyboard and assistive technology such as screen readers.
- Skip-Navigation Links: Consistent skip-navigation links through the Gale unified platform experience to support navigation for all learners.
- Descriptive Page Titles: Helps learners quickly understand the contents of a page.
- Adjustable Text Size: Allows learners to change the text size of periodical HTML full-text documents for increased visibility. The text size persists throughout the user’s session. Resources also support browser resizing.
- Font: Use of larger default font sizes and fonts well known to improve readability.
- Text-to-Speech: Greater prominence for Readspeaker text-to-speech technology for periodical HTML full-text articles.
- Optimized screen width and optimal contrast ratios: Facilitates a better experience when reading on screen.
- Options to display on-screen or download OCR plain text of historical archive documents
- Platform Consolidation and Consistent Experience: Empowers greater agility in maintaining and improving accessibility of Gale resources long-term.
If you have any inquiries, please contact [email protected] .
For more information about Gale and accessibility, please visit the Gale Accessibility Policy page.